QMoney Week 1 Progress Report

We kicked off our Quicken Rebuild by choosing a name for our project – Qmoney and obtaining the domain qmoney.io. We setup a landing page for anyone who’s interested in the project to sign up to get notified when we are ready to get some beta users.

Next, we developed our Bubble database structure. We ended up with a relatively complex structure because we wanted to have the equivalent of multiple Quicken data files and support unlimited tags and split category lines, user-defined reporting groups and some other UI grouping features.

We ended up with 22 tables, of which 6 are core tables and the rest are billing, support, lookup and reporting tables.

As the project progresses we expect the number of tables to be north of 30 – we still have to add tables to support Plaid bank connections, brokerage trades, file and receipt uploads and more.

One of the compromises we had to make with the structure involve nested categories – because of the limitations of Bubble database queries we can’t easily allow for that feature so we’ll only have one level of category. This means that Quicken’s ability to specify a category for a transaction in the ‘xxx:yyy:zzz’ format is not going to be a feature for our project.

We also completed very very basic functionality for:

  • Registration
  • Automatic loading of default data after registration
  • Logins for Users & Admins
  • Add Company & Branches
  • Add Categories & Tags
  • Switch between various companies / branches
  • Verified that data is segregated between different users’ companies and branches.

Overall we’re quite pleased with the progress. The UI is a complete disaster of course but we probably wouldn’t be working on that for a while. We want to get all the core functionality complete to prove the concept, shake down any performance issues and so on. Then we’ll circle back to the UI.

Here’s a screen shot from the Ugly UI:

In a few weeks you’re likely to look back at this UI and laugh!

Leave a Comment